THANKSGIVING MOVIE IDEAS TO GET YOU THROUGH THE LONG WEEKEND
Written by Tony Schultz on November 16, 2023
When I was a kid there was a few things to look forward to during the holidays: holiday specials, lots of food and desserts, and no school. Network television didn’t offer a lot to watch during the unlike now when you can throw in a Blu Ray disc, find something on cable, or stream almost anything for any age or for the whole family. So, I thought I would share my ideas of what you could watch over this weekend and the long Thanksgiving weekend if you get a bit bored. Here’s a list of my top picks and where to find them.
- Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (Amazon Prime, Hulu) – This is the quintessential Thanksgiving movie and is a must watch during the weekend. Steve Martin and John Candy are the perfect foils for each other. Martin the uptight businessman just trying to get home and Candy the loose as can be shower ring salesman that may just be too friendly for his own good. The moments they find themselves in are set up so well that they don’t seem as farfetched as they actually are. Martin’s rant at the rental car desk is epic and why kids can’t watch it with you, and there are a bunch of quotable moments that still hold up today. In the end it maybe has one of the deepest hearts of any John Hughes movie. Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987) Official Trailer 1 – Steve Martin Movie – YouTube
- Castaway (rent on Amazon Prime, Apple TV)- Why this film about a guy stranded on a tropical island? I mean, the plane crashes around Christmas time and is about how we spend time. But I’ve always viewed the Tom Hanks drama about what you can lose. We sit around this coming holiday thinking about all we have and are thankful for and those people who are there with us. In the movie he gets stranded and loses everything including food, shelter, and everything and everyone he’s ever known. All he cared about was time and now it’s all he has. It’s a clear look into what we all take for granted and that even when things are at their worst there is always hope. Oh, and an imaginary friend made out of a volleyball. Cast Away (2000) Trailer #1 | Movieclips Classic Trailers – YouTube
- The Incredibles (Disney+) – This has to be one of my favorite Disney Pixar movies. First of all, it’s very stylistic in the best ways. While it looks like it takes place in the 1950s and 60s with the way houses and cars look there are elements that make it feel modern. The retro cool animation and spy movie vibes make it enjoyable to watch as an adult, but the kids love watching it with you. If the kids want to wrestle the remote away for a bit in between football games this is one that you can enjoy with them. The Incredibles has enough adult humor mixed with kid friendly action to keep everyone entertained. The Incredibles (2004) Trailer #1 | Movieclips Classic Trailers – YouTube
- Star Wars Anthology (Disney+) – Yes, the entire series of movies from beginning to end. No, not all in one sitting (unless you really want to), but a great series of movies to watch over the long weekend. The story of the Skywalker family is a storied one that we all know. This is also a series of movies that you can watch as a family and the adults won’t feel like they’re stuck watching kiddie shows. If you really want to stretch your watching you could jump on Disney+ and watch all the shows that are part of the Star Wars universe like Obi-Won, The Mandalorian, or Andor. STAR WARS Original Trailer (Restored) – 1976 – YouTube
- Rise of The Guardians (rent of Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube) – This is a fun movie for the whole family that encapsulates all the major holidays. It’s the story of Jack Frost becoming a mythical character that helps protect children from the boogeyman. He joins forces with holiday and kid fantasy icons like Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. They are faced with their powers being taken away and children of the world being forever terrorized if they don’t win. It wasn’t widely accepted when it came out, but has become a holiday staple for it’s fun and unique take on the holiday characters being warriors as much as icons for children’s imagination. Rise of the Guardians TRAILER 3 (2012) – Alec Baldwin, Jude Law Movie HD – YouTube